Today I wanted to share with you my process for creating a layout. Everybody has their own creative way of getting to the end result. Some people are inspired by a product, others the picture. But more often than not, for me, I am initially inspired by a story I want to tell.
Sometimes I will have a picture that inspires that story, other times it is something about myself or life I want to document and will search out pictures I may already have or pictures I want to take. Then I look for products that I feel coordinate well. Those two steps are the only steps that are pretty consistent for me. From there it is all about trial and error. I do a lot of paper shuffling and embellishment placement and removal. Embellishments are the hardest part of it all for me. I can usually get the design down, know what I want to say in my journaling, and can come up with a creative title. But when it comes to embellishments, I just can't commit! So here is the anatomy of how this layout came together.
I had this picture on hand of when I went shopping with my sister and her bridesmaids for our bridesmaids dresses. To be honest, I had scrapped this picture before but I am going to put together and album of layouts for my sister of all the pictures of the wedding planning, so I needed to do a second layout of the picture to give to her. I very well couldn't give her mine! So I had the picture and I wanted to document the fun time we were having being bossed around by my sister to try on dress after dress. This was actually the only good picture that came out of the day because we were in and out of dresses so fast there was no time for any posed pictures. So I had the picture and the story; now I needed product. I love the October Afternoon "Thrift Shop" line and thought it would look cool paired with the Creative Imaginations Wood paper that you see as the background. I didn't want to do just a plain old square layout either. My lss has these 12x12 die cuts at the shop so I took the wood paper and die cut it with the apron lace border you see here.
Now for the design part. I wanted to let the wood show through so I decided to only cover half of the base of the layout with paper in a sort of modern color blocking way. That is what you see below. I wanted the edge of the layout to have a little more definition so I used some chocolate brown embroidery floss to stitch a backstitched border all along the perimeter of the layout. The wood paper is easy to see through but still rigid enough on which to add more product and it will hold its shape. I added some velvet scalloped trim down the center to divide the two halves of the layout. You'll notice in the finished layout above that I added a couple narrow layered strips of patterned paper a little later before I glued down the embellishments. I felt like it needed a bit more pizazz down the center area.
I centered the picture on the patterned papered half of the layout and decided on the title. Then came the hard part, deciding on the embellishments. So I sorted through my stash of Buzz and Bloom chipboard and came across the CB Fancy Pansies. These flowers matched almost perfectly to the flowers in the patterned paper.
So I got out my trusty paints and painted the flowers a coordinating pink to match the patterned paper and the stems of the large center piece green. I also dug out some alphas. Here I used the CB Vette-lowercase alphas painted red. I topped all the pieces with Glossy Accents except the flowers themselves. I wanted those to have a more matte look. So just the green stem got the glossy treatment. I like to use a paper plate when painting the pieces so the paint doesn't get all over my desk or anywhere else. As you can see I am sort of a messy painter!
Once dry it was time to fool around with placement. I decided after many variations to place the largest piece towards the center of the layout and to accent the picture and the title area with smaller pansies. You can see here that they are unpainted becase they were an after thought.
Once everything was painted, Glossy Accent-ed, and glued down, my flowers were in need of centers. I solved that problem using some CB Buttons painted yellow and stitched in place with some embroidery floss.
A few hand cut patterned paper leaves, a leaf stickpin and some journal strips and the layout was complete. Now it just needs an album and it is all set. Thanks for reading about my not so scientific or design oriented process!